Yesterday was a sad day for users of the Stage 6 website as it was shutdown for good. For those that have not heard of this website, it is a place where anyone can upload and download videos. It is similar to Youtube but the major difference is that the quality of the videos are of high quality. This is because Stage6 was started by DivX,Inc, inventors of the DivX video compression format.
For the past two years, Stage 6 has been a well kept secret for many users as it has been a very good alternative not only to Youtube but also torrents. You see, because Stage6 does not limit the length of the videos and has a huge size allowance (up to 2Gb), many users have used or abused this privilege by uploading movies, TV shows and other entertainment.
I have visited this site religiously since I have discovered it, mostly to download obscure or cult movies. I thank all of the movie uploaders who have expanded my movie collection tremendously. The only major gripe that I have regarding Stage6 is that some of the videos suffer from synchronization issues.
Now that Stage6 is gone, the only other good alternative so far is Veoh. Hopefully they will not revert back to the horrible flv format again.
No comments:
Post a Comment